Sleeps 6 · Bedrooms 3
20% off a festive weekly stay between December 21st and January 2nd. 7 nights was £450, now just £360. Short breaks from £252. (Service fee applies)
Note: The Owner will accept a second dog at an additional cost of £50. Please phone 01834 844565 to book, if you want to bring a second dog.
The Granary is one our Dog Friendly Holiday Cottages, Perfect for self catering holidays in Pembrokeshire.
The layout of the present village is an example of deliberate planning in the Middle Ages, with a single main street fronted by houses with their respected plots extending behind each dwelling. These houses and plots, the "burgages" of the Middle Ages, form a coherent unit imposed on the landscape and set in a regular system of fields, which themselves still show the narrow strips representing recent enclosures from an extensive medieval "open field" agricultural field system.
In the 17th century Narberth Mountain was stocked with Red Deer and covered 873 acres of woodland. The Pembrokeshire county history records also show open fields in Molleston and Templeton being enclosed for pasture. The establishment of the Tavernspite Turnpike Trust in the 1770s led to a turnpike road toll gate being built at Catershook to the south of the village; its position on an important trading route from Tenby to Cardigan undoubtedly contributed to the growth of Templeton. In the late 18th century the countryside continued to change with woodland disappearing, more land being enclosed and farming dominating the landscape.
Sentance Castle is a raised fortification, a "ringwork", thought to date from the 12th century. Legends as recorded in the 13th century Mabinogion mention the area of Arberth and a place called Gorsedd Arberth, thought by some authorities to be Sentance Castle. The embanked earthworks are about 15M across and the site is a Scheduled monument. Margaret's Well located adjacent to Sentence Castle is one of the 'Holy Wells of Wales', known as Margaret's Well. Set into a bank, the well chamber is lined with stone and has a corbelled roof.
Templeton Airfield opened in 1943, Templeton Airfield had three concrete runways and was originally a base for 306 Ferry Training Unit which used twin engined Bristol Beaufort torpedo bomber aircraft. Templeton was also used by 595 Squadron target towing Spitfires, as well as Spitfires and Mosquito bombers of A Flight, No. 8 Operational Training Unit in 1945, when operations moved to RAF Benson and the airfield closed.