Not only are these fabulous gifts designed and created here in West Wales, we have tried to promote plastic free and/or sustainable ideas; some of these gifts can be upcycled, recycled or used differently once you’re finished with them and buying them will also support local communities. These gifts should last a long time too (except perhaps the yummy food and drink ideas!) which help to make them sustainable…as the adage goes, “buy cheap, buy twice”.
So here goes, while you’re staying in your cosy cottage with FBM in the run up to or over the festive season make sure you check out the following:
- Gorgeous woollen blankets, cushions, dressing gowns and much more from Melin Tregwynt in Castle Morris, Pembrokeshire. www.melintregwynt.co.uk.
- Slate products including cheese boards, candle holders, coasters and cake stands designed and created in Pembrokeshire by Peter Bury. You’ll find them in Vincent Davies department store www.vincentdavies.co.uk and the Golden Sheaf Gallery in Narberth www.goldensheafgallery.co.uk
- Traditional Welsh blankets and other gorgeous, handmade gifts can be purchased from Jane Beck from her shop Ty Zinc near Tregaron. See more here: www.welshblankets.co.uk
- Salt Beach Jewellery. Nautically themed, beautifully crafted pieces of jewellery created from up-cycled silver and sea glass. They are handmade in Pembrokeshire along with cosy cowl neck shawls in cotton and wool blends. Check out the designs here: saltbeach.co.uk and buy from The Nook in Tenby. Alternatively, find gorgeous handmade pieces by Fresh West Silver which have been lovingly made with recycled silver and wrapped in recycled packaging in the East Gate Gallery in Pembroke or online at freshwestsilver.co.uk.
- Jewellery by Sara Lloyd-Morris. She has a few collections including Beachcombing, Hares and Hinterland so we are sure you will find something to love. View examples of her work here: www.jewellerywales.com and buy from her shop in Narberth: Squidges Place.
- Artisan honey, marmalade, jellies and syrups from Coedcanlas, Martletwy. You’ll find their products stocked in lots of places including Wisebuys in Narberth and Watson and Pratts in Lampeter. View their products here: coedcanlas.cymru
- Luxury Truffles, handmade in Wales these beautiful truffles sometimes look too good to eat but taste delicious! All the chocolate truffles are made in the Trwffl shop on picturesque Milford Haven Marina using locally sourced Welsh ingredients as far as possible. https://www.trwffl.co.uk/.
- Quirky Dog Collars and leads by WolfHeart Design are available from Burns Pet Shop in Narberth or online www.facebook.com/wolfheartdesign. These collars are a lot of fun and are eye catching.
- Farm to hangar fashion pieces from Clare Johns. She incorporated contemporary style with Welsh tradition. Her gorgeous garments and accessorises are luxurious yet still practical. Find her here: www.clarejohnslabel.com
- Suzie’s Sheepskin Boots are simply gorgeous. Order a bespoke pair or buy them off the shelf from her shop in Narberth. Find the location here: www.susiesheepskinboots.co.uk
- Contemporary knitted garments, homeware and accessories designed and made by award winning textile artist and designer Sian O’Doherty. She uses hair from her own alpacas in some of her pieces and some of her creations are limited addition. Explore her collections here: www.sianodoherty.co.uk
- Salt Beach Shawls. Pretty cosy cowl neck shawls handmade in Pembrokeshire. Available in a range of colours and patterns and made from cotton and wool blends. Discover the designs here: https://www.instagram.com/salt_beach_jewellery/ and buy from The Nook in Tenby.
- Hiut Denim Co. Hiut make jeans and they make them well. Based in Cardigan, Huit’s ‘Grand Masters’ produce fine jeans from the best quality denims to stand the test of time. https://hiutdenim.co.uk/
- Dilys Photography Gallery. Based in Saundersfoot, this gallery captures and showcases the beauty of Pembrokeshire. You can also discover artwork by locally based artists in a friendly and relaxed environment. https://www.dilysphotography.co.uk/
- Unique pottery by Nick Membery. Find his pieces are Carreg Cennan Castle and in Rhiannon Craft Centre of Wales in Tregaron www.kitchen-pottery.co.uk
- String art pieces by Wood Shack. These are ideal if you want to give your loved ones a personalised gift this Christmas. They are made of recycled wood and are given a modern twist. Request your custom order here www.facebook.com/woodshackcaz or buy from The Nook in Tenby.
We recommend you buy gifts directly from the maker (where possible) instead of online to avoid excess packaging and so you can see and feel the quality of these gifts. If you buy from high street shops you are also helping to keep towns alive, plus you’ll be able to soak up the festive atmosphere as you browse or even visit some local Christmas markets.
Best of all, buying handmade gifts from the people who put so much time into them or local shopkeepers will be sure to put a smile on their faces, what’s not to love about that?