Pembrokeshire has so many fantastic beaches and the majority of them are very easy to get to, especially for wheelchair users. And what’s even better is that you can hire an all terrain wheelchair with extra wide wheels to cope with sand and shallow water so you can enjoy a day on the beach in complete safety.
Below is a list of 5 beaches which have ramps and easy access for wheelchair users:
- Broad Haven North, near Haverfordwest – access is via a concrete slipway on to this long, firm sandy beach. All terrain wheelchairs can be hired from Haven Sports Surf Shop on Marine Road (booking ahead is advisable).
- Saundersfoot – access to this firm, sandy beach is via the slipway just off the main car park. The local information centre on the harbour car park has a small selection of all-terrain wheelchairs for hire.
- Tenby – there is slipway access to all of Tenby’s fabulous beaches- Tenby South Beach, Tenby North Beach, Castle Beach and Harbour Beach – so there is no need to miss out on a day at the beach in Tenby.
- Amroth – access to Amroth beach is at the eastern end of the village via a substantial slipway which leads on to this firm sandy beach.
- Freshwater East – access to this beach is via a level walkway from the car park, which leads on to this expanse of firm golden sands.
Information on beach wheelchairs is available from Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, Saundersfoot Tourist Information Centre, Pembrokeshire Access Group, PIPPA and Pembrokeshire County Council.